SPECIAL REMARKS BY THE DIRECTOR GENERAL, MARYAM BABANGIDA NATIONAL CENTRE FOR WOMEN DEVELOPMENT, ABUJA, HON. DR. ASABE VILITA BASHIR AT THE COMMISSIONING OF THE MAIDUGURIRESOURCE CENTRE FOR WOMEN IN POLITICS ON 10TH AUGUST, 2023 AT THE STATE MINISTRY OF WOMEN AFFAIRS, MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE
I am delighted to be here today with our esteemed partners from UN Women and other Agencies, on this auspicious occasion of the Launch of the Resource Centre for the advancement of Women in Politics and Governancehere in Maiduguri.
2. This Resource Centre in Maiduguri is the third to be launched. The first was launched on the 14th November 2022 at the Maryam Babangida National Centre for Women Development (MBNCWD), Abuja while the second was launched on the 12th July 2023 in Calabar at the Cross River State’s Ministry of Women Affairs.
3. Like its predecessors, the Maiduguri Resource Centre is to promote women’s political engagement, advancement and mentor-ship for aspiring female politicians. It should serve as a hub that provides opportunity for female politicians to access information and knowledge products, electronic equipment, internet facilities, counselling and contacts that would enhance their productivity for effective participation in politics.
4. It is no news that Women’s representation in Nigerian politics has been on a downward slide since 2011, and extremely low in Borno State. It is against this background that the resource centre is being launched today to compliment the current administration inour pursuit to advance women in politics and governance in Nigeria.
5. As we celebrate this Centre, we continue to appreciate the UN Women for their decision to partner with the MBNCWD on this initiative and the Canadian Government for their huge support so far. We also appreciate everyone that has come to celebrate this occasion with us not minding the very short notice; we see your presence as an expression of your commitment to the advancement of Nigerian women.
6. It is therefore with gratitude to God Almighty and appreciation to all our Partners, Stakeholders and well wishers that we declare the Resource Centre for Women in Politics here in Maiduguri open, this day Thursday 10thof August, 2023. It is our expectation that all the equipments delivered to the Resource Centre will be dedicated to the activities of the Centre for the advancement of Nigerian women in politics, in the North East Region of Nigeria.
Speech by PS Borno MWASD
Speech by Rep at Launch of Resouce Center in Maiduguri Borno State
List of books in the resource center
COURTESY: SHAPE - 20 NIGERIAN WOMEN IN POLITICS COMPENDIUM